Projects for A Little Lawn Party

Did you take part in ‘A Little Lawn Party’? Myself and Mel from Handmade by Ditsy Tulip organised a sewing challenge recently and were delighted that the sewing community seemed to love the idea. There were so many wonderful entries and we randomly chose fourteen prize winners from all those who joined in. You can see all the posts by using #alittlelawnparty on Instagram.

My first project was the Bloomsbury blouse by Nina Lee patterns (one of our sponsors). I decided to change the neckline from a high collar to a round neck. I interfaced the two upper back yoke pieces and extended the pieces to be the same size as the lower back pieces to allow for the button band, as in the original pattern there are no buttons on the upper yoke.

The blouse was fairly easy to make, although there are quite a few steps, such as creating the ruffles for the hem and sleeves.

I used these pretty vintage buttons on the back which I found on eBay.

 

The sleeve detail is one of my favourite things about this blouse. It looks very effective even though it was quite simple to make.

The yoke ruffle was a little more challenging as it is a very long piece of fabric! After basting the piece I had to make sure the yoke upper piece and lower piece all matched up neatly with no puckers. It took a little while but I’m pleased with the result.

I enjoyed making this project and found the instructions very clear and easy to follow. Its a good intermediate project if you are ready for more of a challenge with your sewing. I’m also really happy to have finally used this beautiful Liberty lawn which I had stashed for a couple of years! I did accidentally cut out the sleeves upside down but I don’t think it is too noticeable.

My next project is the free Peplum Top pattern by In the Folds, which is published by Peppermint magazine. I bought a metre of this beautiful Satin Cloud Liberty lawn from the Alice Caroline fabrics sale and it was just the right amount of fabric to make this.

I increased the length by about an inch as this is more practical for me, and I am happy with the length. I didn’t make any other changes to the pattern.

 

The V Neck at the back is a little tricky but I don’t think it turned out too bad!

Despite being a large print it is versatile to wear with plain trousers, jeans or a skirt and I have worn this quite a lot since I made it.

 

 

My last project which I didn’t quite finish in time is the Delphine & Morisette La Brune blouse hacked into a tunic dress. I also used a Liberty print for this one, another one that I’ve had stashed for a while!

The instructions for this pattern were in French, and while I do understand simple French, it was quite technical and there were no diagrams to follow, just a page of written instructions! I got the gist of the instructions then worked out the rest myself, based on the Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Dress which I have made twice.

Next time I would use a wider hem on the ruffle to make it narrower as I found it quite a wide ruffle for my frame. I also used the sleeve piece from the Ultimate Shift dress as I thought this would fit me better.

Those are all my makes for #alittlelawnparty! I hope you enjoyed this post and I’ll end with some of my favourite photos from the Birmingham Botanical Gardens where the Bloomsbury blouse photos were taken.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply