Lilac Baby Dress

This dress, from Anna Maria Horner’s Handmade Beginnings book, amazingly only took one day to cut out and make. It would have taken even less time if I hadn’t messed up and cut out a smaller pattern piece for the skirt thus running out of fabric and having to patch together pieces the right size for the back!

The fabric is Little Folks, the line I used for this quilt (which is basically finished, I will photograph soon!). It’s ideal for making baby clothes, as its so light and silky, but at the same time machine washable. I thought about lining the skirt too but I’m happy with the unlined original version too. It would be cute with a tulle lining too.

I learned how to do French seams which I had been needlessly worried about – I think I had been mixing them up with Hong Kong seams (where bias tape is used to cover the raw edges) and also attaching elastic to the waist using zigzag stitch.

Sorbet Top

I managed to finally whip up a baby top using the Anna Maria Horner Little Folks Pastry Line and Square Dance fabrics:

I modified a pattern from a Japanese sewing book I had, so that the main body pieces  could be made with the large squares from the Square Dance panel. This one is a size 3-6 months roughly. Wouldn’t it look sweet on a hot summer’s day? I’m also planning on a little pair of shorts, with a turn-up in the pastry line fabric. Not quite sure how I’ll be able to do it, but I’ll have a go!

Quilt Top done!

I finished the top to my Little Folks quilt yesterday. I can’t finish it yet because I don’t have the right size batting unfortunately! I’m really happy with the colour combination – lots of yellow, pink and a dash of sky blue! I was a bit nervous about mixing up the different palettes but I think it worked out well. As Suhayb (my son) says: “It’s colours!”

I was inspired by this and this. I wanted to use the beautiful dobby voile square panels along with what I had bought of the collection, and found the small squares measured 6.5″ exactly. So I cut 80 squares in that size using 15 or so fabrics and then chain-pieced them in pairs. After that I laid them out until I was happy with the arrangement and then pieced the top.

I’m going to bind it in the pale blue solid voile and the yellow diamond mine – although I’m not sure if it might be a bit extravagant. The fabric is not cheap but it is beautiful – the nicest cotton I have ever seen and perfect for clothes. I don’t even want to tot up how much I’ve spent on it so far!