I made this sewing kit which I have seen popping up on blogs and Flickr as part of the Zakka Style sew along. I haven’t really needed a sewing kit before because I rarely sew outside my home but since joining the London Modern Quilt Guild I have realised it would be helpful to have one handy. I was sent this beautiful rustic looking piece of linen by Uniqueshiny a while ago as an extra gift in my package. It measured about 12″ by 10″ so was just big enough to cut out the pieces for the outer fabric and pockets, although I did make the pieces slightly narrower.
I used a print from the Loulouthi collection by Anna Maria Horner for the lining. I wasn’t a huge fan of this collection at first but it has really grown on me and I ended up purchasing some from Misformake recently (it’s on sale at the moment). The pocket binding is made from a scrap of Loulouthi Velveteen from The Village Haberdashery. it would have helped to cut the velveteen 1/4″ wider to allow for the additional thickness as it was a bit difficult to work with, I trimmed my seam allowance to 1/8″ to allow for this which worked ok. I just noticed I sewed one of the lining pieces on wrong side out which is a bit annoying, as the seam is not as neat as the other side, but I think I will leave it as it is for now.
I used grosgrain ribbon instead of leather as I didn’t have any to hand. A double faced ribbon is necessary for this pattern and I thought it looked neater to lay the ribbons over each other instead of side by side as is suggested for the leather.
It now contains scissors, thread, pins, needles, a seam ripper and measuring tape – the perfect sewing kit and it only took an hour!