It’s been a while since I posted and the sewing projects have piled up! This is a catch up post of all my September and October projects. First up, is the Deer and Doe Myosotis dress which was really popular when I posted it on Instagram a while ago.
I used a beautiful crepe from Fabworks Mill shop which I had loved since I saw Wendy Ward’s Fulwood dress in the same fabric. When she posted that it was in stock again I grabbed a few metres before it sold out!
The Myosotis dress is beautiful but I knew the length wouldn’t work for me as a gathered short dress. I had the idea of making a midi length dress with a ruffle after seeing Anna Roslily in a beautiful green Ganni dress.
I found the bodice quite tight so had to reduce the darts at the back and front to make some room! I also reduced the seam allowance under the arms and in the shoulder seams. It’s still a little tight but not terrible, but I will cut a larger size bodice next time and do a toile. I used the longer skirt length with the frill added on to the bottom, and added some extra length and width to the frill as well. For the sleeve, I lengthened the main sleeve piece and used the ruffle at the end.
It helps that it is a great match with my red boots from last year! It’s a great outfit for feeling instantly put together, and best of all no ironing is required 🙂
Next up, is the Wiksten Kimono (or Haori as it is now known). I used a textured fabric which seems to be some kind of technical double gauze type material. I purchased it from Simply Fabrics so don’t know exactly what it is made of.
I’m a bit on the fence with this one because I used a highly contrasting pink fabric for the lining and feel it is a bit bright on the collar. The jacket itself was easy to sew and has a really nice shape. I made the smallest size which is still quite roomy.
I am planning to make another one but would use the outer fabric for the collar next time, or use something less contrasting. I have some Spruce linen/silk blend from Fabworks which I might try next.
This is one of my favourite makes! I bought this French Terry from Pin and Sew when Aga first opened the shop, but didn’t know what to make with it. The Seamwork Tacarah pattern was a perfect match! The fabric was supersoft and easy to sew with.
The Seamwork Tacarah is a simple cocoon shaped dress with pockets and drop sleeves. It was a fun and quick project but I had some difficulty working out the pocket instructions. They have since updated the instructions based on the feedback they received.
The colour and soft fabric make this a great cosy casual piece to wear. I would love to make another one in merino jersey as well.
Next up is the Driftless cardigan, a Grainline Studios pattern. I made one of these a long time ago, in a plain grey viscose knit which I wear all the time, so I thought it was time for another one!
This time I used a heavier French terry fabric from Stoff Stil, which was a remnant I bought on Instagram. I tried to line up the chevron shapes to pattern match but wasn’t too particular about it. I decided to make the split hem version.
This was fairly quick to make although there are quite a few pieces to cut. Most of the construction was done on the overlocker but it would be easy to make on a sewing machine too.
My final project is a knitting one, the Dragonflies sweater by Joji Locatelli. I bought the yarn to make this at Edinburgh yarn festival last year, and it has been a very slow project taking over six months.
I really love the beautiful ochre colour of the yarn, Hama Dk by Triskelion Yarns (this is a discontinued base).
The jumper is very warm and I am pleased with the fit. I did notice I was making an error with ssk stitches which seasoned knitters might spot but it doesn’t really show on the final garment. It was good to have a slow project to hand for journeys and quiet evenings and eventually have something beautiful at the end of the time.
It all looks great, but oh my goodness, that hand-knit sweater is amazing!! Beautiful! Great Job!
Stunning! Your look is lovely. Your handwork is beautiful!